Almudena Fernández (born 1974) is a Spanish model. She is a highly respected international fashion model who has won a number of awards both on and off the runway.
Almudena was born at Benavente, in the province of Zamora, Spain.
Fernández began her professional career at an early age, entering and finishing second in a Supermodel of the World contest sponsored by Spanish Elle. She began modelling at the age of 16.
After that, Almudena left Madrid and soon wound up on runways in Milan, Paris, and finally New York
Like many top models, Almudena eventually moved to New York and has lived for many years.
Almudena's covers include:
- Denmark: 'Euroman' - July 2002
- France: 'Max' - March 2001, 'Joyce'; 'Biba'; 'Elle' - ? 1997; 'Madame Figaro' - November 8 1997
- Mexico: 'Vanidades' - October 24 2006
- South Africa: 'Elle' - August 1997
- Spain: 'Man' - February 1994; 'Novias de España' - Fall/Winter 1996; 'Elle' (supplement) - September 1997; 'Woman' - July 2000; 'Woman' - January 2001; 'Arte de Vivir' - November 2002; 'GQ' - April 2003; 'Marie Claire' - January 2003; 'Metaphore' - April 2004; 'DT' - October 2004; 'Hojas' - February/March 2005; 'Yo Dona' - October 15, 2005; 'Arte de Vivir' - #8 2006; 'Wapa Magazine' - April 2006; 'XL Semanal' - June 11, 2006; 'Elle' - December 2006; 'Vanidad' - December 2007; 'El Pais Semanal' - September 14 2008; 'Condé Nast Traveler' - April 2009; 'Woman' - April 2009; 'GQ' - November 2009; 'Todo Boda' - #22 2010; 'Yo Dona' - November 06 2010; 'Mia' - May 11 2011; 'Yo Dona' - May 25 2013
- UK: 'Elle' (Supplement) September 1996; 'Cosmopolitan' September 1997; 'Marie Claire Health & Beauty' - May/June 1999; 'Cosmopolitan' - July 2001
- Swiss: 'Bolero' - May 2002
As a veteran of working for the top brands, including Victoria's Secret, Almudena was named the Cosmopolitan TV "Best International Model" in 2007.
Almudena also is renowned beauty outside of fashion, having won the 'Miss Madrid' contest in 1992.
Almudena is passionate about environmental causes and appeared in the 2002 Greenpeace calendar as well as the 2004 Larios Calendar.
Almudena also works with the United Nations on various initiatives, and has developed an interest in acting, appearing in a Willie Nelson music video.
Almudena has her own website.
Almudena is a woman of many interests and has a life far beyond modelling.
Almudena Fernández is on Twitter, with over 10,000 followers, and Instagram, with 44,000 followers at last check.
Almudena has made various television appearances. For instance, she was on series "Grand Prix" for 99 episodes. Almudena Fernández invariably plays herself, though, or at least a fictionalized version of herself.
After 20 years in the business, Almudena Fernández basically retired from modelling around 2012. She now focuses her attention on "Kind Surf," an organization that works with children with mobility problems, with physical and mental disabilities.
While Almudena has retired, she has said:
Soy modelo y moriré modelo ("I am a model and I will die a model").
Almudena loves to surf. She says that surfing allows her "to disconnect from the environment and connect with yourself." She has combined that passion with her charitable inclinations in forming her "Kind Surf" NGO (similar to a charity).