Yasmeen Ghauri (Urdu: یاسمین غوری; born March 23, 1971) is a Canadian model who joined Victoria's Secret in 1992 and walked in the 1996 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
Yasmeen is from Montreal, Quebec. She is of German and Pakistani parentage. Ghauri was working at a McDonalds restaurant at the age of 17 when Montreal hairdresser Joseph Del Tortoon spotted her and referred her to salon artistic director of Platine Coiffure Edward Zaccharia.
Yasmeen was notorious for being 'different,' dressing all in black and things like that. This trait may have helped her to stand out. Yasmeen heralded a shift within the fashion industry to using more models who were not blond-haired and blue-eyed. It also ushered in more Canadian models.
Yasmeen's covers include:
- Canada: 'Photo Life' - December 1989; 'Flare' - August 1993; 'Flare' - November 1994
- France: 'Marie Claire' - December 1990; 'Elle' - July 16, 1990; 'Elle' - February 25, July 29, March 11 1991; 'Elle' - March 6, 1995; 'Elle' - April 14 1997
- Germany: 'Vogue' - October 1985; 'Elle' - March 1990; 'Vogue' - September 1990; 'Vogue' - June 1992; 'Elle' - January 1992; 'Vogue' - June 1993, September 1993, June 1994, October 1995
- Italy: 'Marie Claire' - May 1990; 'Vogue' - January 1991; 'Elle' - December 1994
- Mexico: 'Elle'
- New Zealand: 'Fashion Quarterly' - Summer 1997
- Singapore: 'Elle' - December 1995
- Spain: 'Marie Claire' - June 1989; 'Vogue' - July 1993; 'Woman' - July 1993
- UK: 'Elle' - March 1990; 'Harper's & Queen' - December 1992; 'Marie Claire' - June 1993; 'Marie Claire' - February 1994; 'Marie Claire' - July & November 1996
Ghauri unexpectedly retired at the height of her fame when she withdrew from a Yves Saint Laurent show in 1996 at the last minute. She then started a family with her husband Ralph Bernstein and now has a daughter named Maia and a son named Victor. Although gone from the fashion scene, she is hardly forgotten: the character Jasmine in the Jonathan Steele comics is modeled after directly Yasmeen Ghauri. Sergio Bonelli Editore created the comic strip until 2004.