Chanel Iman also was in the 2014, 2015, and 2016 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issues.
Chanel has made a name for herself with her multi-faceted projects and sparkling personality.
Chanel was born in Atlanta, Georgia, and grew up in Los Angeles, California.
Iman is part Korean, part African-American.
Chanel Iman began her modeling career as a child, then participated in the 2006 Ford Supermodel of the World contest in New York.
Chanel did not win the Ford contest, but you don't have to win for the contest format to work for you.
Chanel did, however, place as a runner-up.
This was enough to get her noticed by the people at Ford.
After becoming a Ford model, Chanel quickly started getting prestigious covers.
Before long, she was in advertising campaigns for top names such as Bottega Veneta, GAP, Ralph Lauren, Express and DKNY.
Chanel became a Victoria's Secret Angel in 2010. This led to a steady working relationship with the company and many interesting projects.
Chanel branched out beyond Victoria's Secret. Several television appearances have helped Chanel to advance in her career. She was on an episode of the Tyra Banks Show in October 2007 and worked on MTV's House of Style in 2009.
Chanel also served as a judge on the 2009 season premiere of America's Next Top Model, Cycle 13.
|Chanel Iman and Behati Prinsloo at the Victoria's Secret PINK Beach Bash, Miami March 2011.|
Usher used her in his music video for 'Dive,' and Beyoncé hired her to appear in her music video "Yoncé" along with Jourdan Dunn and Joan Smalls.
Chanel Iman's covers include:
- Canada: 'Flare' - October 2010
- Dubai: 'Harper's Bazaar' - May 2009
- France: 'French Revue de Modes' - Fall/Winter 2007; 'French Revue de Modes' - Spring/Summer 2010; 'L'Officiel' - February 2012
- Indonesia: 'Prestige' - December 2009; 'Elle' - December 2010
- Italy: 'Muse' - October 2008; 'Flair' - February 2009; 'Elle' - October 2010; 'Glamour Italy' - July 2014
- Korea: 'Vogue' - September 2008; 'Vogue Girl' - February 2010; 'Singles' - November 2013
- Lithuania: 'L'Officiel' - February 2012
- Serbia: Harper's Bazaar Serbia, June 2016
- South Africa: 'Elle' - May 2011
- Spain: 'Wish' - January 2009; 'Glamour Spain," July 2015
- UK: 'Pop' - Autumn/Winter 2008; 'i-D' - May 2009; 'Lula' - Spring/Summer 2009; 'i-D' - September 2009; 'i-D' - February 2011
- Ukraine: 'Harper's Bazaar' - June 2009
- US: 'Vogue' - May 2007; 'Teen Vogue' - February 2008; 'Time' - 2008; 'Page Six' - January 25 2009; 'Teen Vogue' - November 2009; 'Ocean Drive' - November 2010; 'Elle' - October 2011; 'WSJ Magazine' - December 2011; 'Foam' - May 2012; 'Vogue USA - September 2014
Chanel has a clothing boutique, "The Red Bag," in Culver City, California. She also has her own video game and is associated with the electronics company Skullcandy.
Chanel donates some of her time to charitable causes, such as the Ad Council and USAID, and she is active in Democratic Party politics.
Chanel was dropped from the elite Victoria's Secret Angels lineup after a few years.
Chanel claims that she gets turned down from casting calls for racial reasons. She recalled one such experience:
"We already found one black girl. We don't need you any more." I felt very discouraged.To be clear, it doesn't appear that Chanel ever made that charge against Victoria's Secret.
Chanel has almost a quarter of a million followers on Twitter even though she doesn't tweet very often anymore.
Vogue Paris declared Chanel Iman as one of the top 30 models of the 2000s - and that was before most of her work for Victoria's Secret and for Sports Illustrated.
Chanel Iman's dating life was always a matter of great interest. She has dated rapper ASAP Rocky, Lakers basketball player Jordan Clarkson, and New York Giants wide receiver Sterling Shepard. She married Sterling Shepard and as of May 2018 was happily pregnant.
Chanel has become interested in African charity through the Ad Council and USAID. She reportedly sponsors girls in Tanzania, Uganda, and Kenya.